IDx is executing a plan to implement the first AI device cleared by the FDA to practice medicine. Built on a series of patented machine learning algorithms, our software is designed to automatically diagnose early signs of debilitating eye diseases. In the process, we are working to prevent unnecessary blindness, drive down healthcare costs, and transform the way the world thinks about disease detection.
IDx is a private company with substantial funding and a deep product pipeline. As a rapidly growing company, every member of our team plays a fundamental role in ensuring our success. We want to hire people who bring new skills and perspectives that will take us to the next level.
For more info, visit
What we are looking for:
IDx is looking for a high software developer to work in an agile engineering team, developing various software applications that comprise our automated medical device systems and associated processes. Of paramount importance in this role are abilities to:
- analyze software requirements.
- define and design software components.
- communicate about software design and overall strategy/architecture.
- produce well-documented, high quality code that is easily maintained.
- contribute to design/code reviews.
- be extremely detail oriented, as our company is bounded by government regulation.
Depending on interest and aptitude, the software developer will participate in and be responsible for a subset or all of the following activities:
- Software application development:
We move fast, and business priorities constantly change as we move into new markets. We are focused on minimizing wasted work, and therefore, need someone who can execute and produce high quality maintainable code.
- Medical device software development/release process automation:
We’re constantly working to increase engineering resource agility/flexibility, development efficiency, overall product quality, and work environment. The medical device industry is unique, and we’re pushing regulatory boundaries by introducing cutting edge technology to new markets. Developing skill sets in this area will truly distinguish you from other technologists.
- Software development project management.
If interested, the software developer will have the opportunity to spend part of their time directing project/product development, and work toward becoming the nexus of our business; sitting between our engineering, marketing, and legal teams to move our company forward.
- 2+ years object-oriented development experience or an exceptional new grad with a proven track record of success
- Strong grasp of:
o Object-oriented programing concepts
o Web API
o MVC pattern
- Applicants must not now or in the future need IDx to sponsor an immigration case for employment (for example, H-1B or other employment-based immigration cases).
What will help you in this role:
- GUI development
- Scripting experience (python, etc.)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft development tools, specifically Visual Studio and Team Foundation Server
- Knowledge of or interest in the medical device software development industry
- Ability to analyze, optimize, (re-)implement, and document complex code and/or existing prototype software
- Database knowledge
The rigors and challenges of work at IDx are not for everyone, but the team here has some amazing opportunities to:
- Work with world-renowned doctors who are pushing the limits of machine learning in medicine.
- Build upon research and distribution partnerships with IBM’s Watson Health team to revolutionize health tech.
- Tackle complex problems/projects with the highest levels of quality and execution for audiences that include top technologists, the FDA, and world-leading healthcare providers.
- Push the accessibility and quality of healthcare to new heights to improve the lives of millions of people.
Some of the technologies we’re working with:
- Microsoft Visual Studio with MSDN and Microsoft Team Foundation Server
- Inedo Otter infrastructure as code
- C# / Ninject / NSubstitute / NCrunch / Nlog
- NVIDIA CUDA
- Windows Server with IIS webservices based on ASP.NET Web API
- A number of open source libraries to which we have contributed when appropriate
- IDx team members are encouraged to participate in local technical events. Our team members have contributed to hackathons, entrepreneurial competitions, technology panels, and much more.
- IDx is located in Iowa City, IA. However, we would welcome a remote employee to work along side other IDx employees in the Tucson area.
How to apply:
If you’re interested in learning more about working at IDx, check out
And if you’re ready to help our team build the future of healthcare,please complete an application online.
Location/Region: Work From Home