American International College is a private, coeducational institution of higher education located on a 70+ acre campus in Springfield, Massachusetts. The campus has 42 buildings on two sites approximately 1/2 mile apart with a total of approximately 660,000 gross square feet. Included in the inventory of buildings are student residences for a resident population of 900 students. Founded in 1885, the College has 3700 graduate and undergraduate students. AIC offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs through the Schools of Business, Arts and Sciences; Health Sciences; and Education. The mission of the College is to transform student lives through career focused learning, with a strong foundation in the liberal arts, a commitment to serving the community, and a high level of involvement in the global economy.
AIC strives to create a diverse and inclusive campus community that is representative, at all job levels, of the students we serve. We are an EEO employer and we welcome applications from individuals for positions where they are underrepresented.
- Teach 24 credit hours per academic year (generally 12 credits hours per academic semester) as assigned by the Department Chair/Director or Dean, unless other arrangements, additional duties, or contract provisions have been made
- Lead course and curriculum review and development
- Participate, in accordance with Departmental and College need, in the ongoing design and continuous implementation of assessment of student learning outcomes and academic program improvement activities in the areas of General Education and the academic major. Attend the AIC assessment workshops
- Serve as academic advisor for students in the major and for other students as may be assigned by the Department Chair/Division Director and/or Dean
- Serve on committees as elected or appointed by the Dean or Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Maintain a minimum of four office hours weekly, scheduled to meet the needs of the students, and to be available to meet with students, as needed, at other times throughout the week
- Attend scheduled general faculty, school faculty, and departmental faculty meetings
- Attend the Academic Awards program, Convocation, and Commencement exercises, and be available to participate in activities which promote the College in a positive manner both on and off campus
- Participate in professional development activities related to one’s faculty role
- Engage in scholarly activities appropriate to one’s discipline, teaching responsibilities, and other academic responsibilities
- Engage and interact with students in positive ways, such as by guiding student research projects, by serving as the advisor to student clubs and organizations, or by mentoring students in other scholarly activities
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Department Chair/Director, Dean or Provost
- Assist the Center for Academic Success with activities related to student success, retention and advising
- Assist Admissions with student recruitment as related to departmental programs
- Required Degree(s): Master’s degree in mass communication or related field
- Preferred Degree(s): Doctorate in mass communication or related field
- Strong commitment to high-quality instruction in a diverse, student-centered environment and the ability to work with students with various learning styles and backgrounds
- Interest in active and collaborative learning and enthusiasm for working in a multidisciplinary environment
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite, Blackboard, and the instructional use of technology to teach traditional, hybrid or on-line courses, as needed
- Ability to foster a collaborative atmosphere among students and faculty
- Enthusiastic, committed teacher-scholar with demonstrated excellence in undergraduate teaching and scholarship
The Visiting Professor position is a one year temporary assignment that will be eligible to participate in certain employee benefits when eligibility requirements are met. The schedule for the position is flexible to the needs of the department.
Qualified applicants should save and submit a brief cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three professional references (one of which must be a current or prior supervisor) as one document. Upload the saved document into the online application.
Location/Region: Springfield, MA