• Faculty member’s responsibilities shall be teaching courses as assigned.
• Faculty member must possess a willingness to be certified to teach online.
Characteristics, Duties, and Responsibilities
• Teaches assigned courses in accordance with description published in catalog and the approved course syllabus, in accordance with schedule of classes and incorporating interactive approaches, technologies and methods when possible.
• Incorporates an appreciation of diverse lifestyles, cultures and national perspectives into courses.
• Incorporates the use of the library into courses, uses writing as an instructional method, and utilizes computing and other academic technologies in courses when possible.
• Meets all scheduled class meetings.
• Advises Division Dean/Assistant Dean of absences in a timely manner.
• Maintains accurate grade and attendance records for students enrolled in classes and submits required reports to Dean/ Assistant Dean or Student Records Office.
• Submits grades per published deadline.
• Participates in assessment of learning outcomes and demonstrates the use of the results of these assessments in course planning.
• Plans in advance to ensure availability of supplies, textbooks, and classroom equipment requisite to successful teaching of assigned classes.
• Submits progress reports on students for counseling, athletic oversight, and record keeping purposes and discusses with counselors and other appropriate personnel any problems of students which may require special attention.
• Adheres to College policies and procedures.
• Master’s Degree in the discipline required unless otherwise specified.
• Some teaching experience is required.
• Official college transcripts must be submitted prior to interview. Additional official transcripts must be submitted to Human Resources upon hire.
• Teaching experience at the community college level.
Competencies and Skills Required
• Certification or license as needed and appropriate.
• Demonstrated ability to teach undergraduates.
• Willingness to use alternatives educational delivery systems and instructional techniques.
• Commitment to incorporation of library, computers, writing and culturally diverse perspective into the curriculum.
• Knowledge of competency-based education.
• Commitment to the practice of providing for out-of-class interaction with students.
• Fundamental competency in the use of information technology.
• Commitment to continued assessment of the teaching-learning process and its outcomes.
• Commitment to continual professional growth and development.
• Demonstrated mastery of subject matter of discipline.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• This position’s duties are normally performed in a typical interior/residence work environment, based on the activity scheduled.
• Some physical effort required; however, the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• Some travel required.
Union County College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, marital status, religion, age, disability, handicap or other legally protected status in its provision of employment, education, and activities, or other services.
Union County College is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
============== Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons. ==============
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for full-time faculty and staff which includes twenty medical plans to choose from including PPO, HMO and HD plans offered by BC/BS and Aetna, three dental plans including two PPOs and one DMO offered by Delta Dental of NJ, and a pension plan with seven investment carriers. We also offer twenty vacation days, ten paid holidays, and a ten week summer work schedule which allows the college to close on Fridays. Other additional benefits include gym privileges, tuition remission for credit and non-credit courses at Union County College, and tuition reimbursement for an approved degree program at an accredited college or university.
Terms of Employment
Part time. Employee must establish primary residency in New Jersey within one year of appointment unless an exemption applies.
About this company
As the oldest community college in New Jersey, UCC has been serving both career-minded and transfer-oriented students since 1933. The College has maintained its commitment to scholarship by providing a solid liberal arts foundation while, at the same time, developing new programs and courses that meet the challenges of a rapidly developing society.
UCC is focused on ensuring that our programs and facilities are equipped to prepare students for the intellectual and technological demands of the 21st century. All four UCC campuses boast advanced data and voice infrastructures that can support the latest in computer hardware and software. All credit students are offered their own college e-mail accounts through which they can communicate with UCC's outstanding faculty, fellow students, and the vast world of knowledge and information available through the World Wide Web. Distance learning opportunities, such as courses by videotape, are increasing with each semester.
Even more important, UCC has a reputation for providing its diverse student body with a nurturing and supportive environment. Student services from counseling and financial aid to the tutoring provided by the Academic Learning Centers on each campus are in place to ensure student success.
For those wishing to pursue a bachelors degree, the economics of spending the first two years at Union County College coupled with the dual admissions and transfer /articulation agreements that the College has in place, can ease the road to junior year status at a long list of colleges and universities throughout the U.S. While here, students have the chance to participate in a range of activities. These include a five-star chapter of the honor society of Phi Theta Kappa, an award-winning student newspaper, a modern fitness center, and a range of athletic programs. In 1998, the UCC Owls and Lady Owls were the first teams from one college to become the Men's and Women's Garden State Athletic Conference Basketball Champions in the same year.
Whether you are a recent high school graduate, an adult returning to school after a hiatus, an employee seeking additional training or a new career, Union County College can be your . . . access to the 21st century!
Location/Region: Cranford, NJ