Any salary estimation specified by this job board may or may not align with our organization’s pay philosophy. Apply to connect with a Talent Acquisition Partner who can provide more details!
About American Ordnance
At American Ordnance, we know the stakes and We do what we say! ® We’re the team working behind the scenes to make sure our nation’s front lines have safe, high-quality ammunition. As a trusted premier manufacturer of ammunition to the U.S. Military, some of our capabilities range from production of direct and indirect fire, warheads, to special projects and beyond. With more than 70 years of experience and Day & Zimmermann behind us, it’s no surprise that our teams consistently exceed expectations! Come join in on our purpose – We put people to work, we protect American freedoms, and we help our customers power and improve the world!
We’re looking for a full-time, staff Database Administrator, Programmer to join our American Ordnance team located in Middletown, IA.
The database administrator is responsible for providing technical and organizational leadership for the company's database environment, including overseeing the development and organization of databases, assessment and implementation of new technologies, and providing Information Services with a long term perspective on the relationship of database technology to the business opportunities facing the company. This position will have primary responsibility for all Oracle, Wonderware Historian and Microsoft SQL Server database administration.
Secondarily responsible for developing, maintaining, and supporting custom applications and code for the company. This includes analyzing users’ needs, designing and developing software, modifying existing software, and training employees on the usage of custom applications. Also responsible for supervising other programmers and vendors in support of custom application development and maintenance.
As the Database Administrator, Programmer, here’s the work you’ll do:
- Installing and upgrading the database servers and application tools. Allocating system storage and planning storage requirements for the database systems. Modifying the database structure, as necessary, from information given by application developers
- Enrolling users and maintaining system security and controlling and monitoring user access to the databases and applications
- Monitoring and optimizing the performance of databases. Planning for backup and recovery of database information and managing archived data
- Consulting with departments or customers on software development project status and proposals. Working with customers or departments on technical issues including software system design and maintenance.
- Analyzing information to recommend and plan the installation of new systems or modifications of an existing system
- Write programs in a variety of computer languages, utilizing Microsoft Visual Studio and other development tools.
- Update and expand existing programs to support business needs and debug programs by testing for and fixing errors. Build and use computer-assisted software engineering (CASE) tools to automate the writing of some code. Use code libraries, which are collections of independent lines of code, to simplify the writing
- Consulting with engineering staff to evaluate software-hardware interfaces and develop specifications and performance requirements. Designing and developing software systems that may use scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcomes and design consequences. Preparing reports on programming project specifications, activities, or status. Conferring with project managers to obtain information on limitations or capabilities.
This role is for you if you have these skills:
- 5 to 7 years of experience developing applications including ASP.NET, HTML5, SQL coding, Microsoft VB.Net, and mobile apps.
- Strong working knowledge of SQL Server, Oracle Database Server, and FactoryTalk Historian.
- Solid background in UI responsive design and development.
- Backend database development with SQL Server and Oracle to support web applications.
And if you have these qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field preferred. Experience may substitute for degree
- 7+ years of related experience
- MCSA: SQL Database Administration, Oracle Certified Professional, and/or MCSD: Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer preferred but not required
- Ability to obtain security clearance required
To ensure a safe work environment while meeting the physical demands of the job, you must be able to perform the following physical and mental tasks, with or without a reasonable accommodation:
- Visual acuity (e.g., needed to prepare and analyze data, to transcribe documents, to view a computer, to read, to inspect objects, to operate machinery.
- Balancing (e.g. maintaining equilibrium when walking, climbing, crouching, etc.)
- Stooping (e.g. bending the spine at the waist)
- Reaching (e.g. reaching the arms or legs in any direction)
- Lifting motion or lifting objects more than 15 pounds
- Repetitive motion of any part of the body
- Kneeling, crouching or crawling
- Pushing or pulling (e.g. using a part of your body to press against something in a downward or outward direction or in a dragging or hauling motion)
- Manual Dexterity (e.g. picking, pinching, typing, or other working that uses fingers)
- Grasping (e.g. use of hand to apply pressure)
- Feeling (e.g. perceiving an object’s size, shape, texture, etc.)
- Capacity to think, concentrate and focus for long periods of time.
- Ability to read complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to reason and make sound decisions.
- Ability to write complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to express thoughts orally.
We care about our employees and it shows. Our staff receive a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical/Rx, dental and vision coverage; life, AD&D and disability insurance; flexible spending accounts; 100% paid maternity leave for up to 12 weeks, parental leave, family leave, other paid time off; voluntary benefits and discount programs to meet our employees’ individual needs including pet insurance for our furry family members!
SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? APPLY NOW! Talent Acquisition Partner: Chris Pinto
Diversity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity
American Ordnance, A Day & Zimmermann Company is committed to maintaining an inclusive workforce, where employees are hired, retained, compensated and promoted based on their contributions to our Company. Our collective strength is rooted in over a century of diverse employees and businesses, commitment to success, and delivery on promises made. Federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity laws prohibit employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status and disability status. American Ordnance is committed to providing an equal opportunity work environment in full compliance with these laws. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation in the application process, please email
, and please specify which position you are interested in, including job title and location.
Location/Region: Middletown, Iowa